Moving in itself is not an easy task. Things could get even more challenging when you have seniors in the house. Moving seniors is not only physically stressful, but it can be emotionally taxing too. As an adult of the house, you have to manage everything from finances, removalists Geelong, and the elders’ health.
This moving guide aims to help you make the transition smoother and stress-free for the elders, along with searching for appropriate removalists Geelong to carry out your move. If you are moving your parents for the first time, this blog will tell you what to do and how.
Housing options for seniors
Even before booking removalists Geelong for moving seniors, you have to look at all housing options available. You must understand what every option has to offer to your parents. Some of the options are mentioned below.
- Apartment: There are many cases in which parents wish to live closer to the family members. Sometimes they even want to shift to a smaller place to make their residence more manageable. In situations like these, renting or buying a small apartment can be convenient.
- Retirement Communities: For older adults, retirement communities can be one of the most suitable options. Retirement communities come with many benefits.
- There are various activities and excursions in which your loved ones can participate. These older adults in these communities can build a support network outside the family. Above everything, elderly members of the family get a chance to socialize with peers.
- Assisted Living Communities: If your parents need assistance in their day-to-day life activities but do not need the services of a nursing home, then assisted living communities can be a good option. These communities are specially designed to help older adults.
Some reasons for the move
Moving elders to a new home means they’ll have to leave all the comfort and memories associated with it. This is something very challenging to do. While you deal with the emotional aspect, also consider your needs and reasons to move.
- Live closer to the family: Leaving the elderly members of the family far is not a good idea. At that age, they need to have their support system, i.e. their family closer.
- Medical conditions: When people get old, they deal with many medical issues. If your parents need long-term support because of their medical conditions, then you should consider moving them near you. You should get it done by movers (city) before the requirement arises.
- Loss of a loved one: Loss or death of loved ones, especially the spouse, can create a void around the parent. They will lose it if new tasks are introduced that were earlier done for the one who’s no more. They might also start feeling lonely. In cases like these, the retirement and social living communities can be of great help.
- Social Interaction: In older people, the craving for social attention and attraction is quite high. The spouse’s loss or the death of any loved one is not the only thing that makes people feel lonely and unhappy. If the social interaction is not good, the elder might start feeling isolated.
Preparing for the move
Moving seniors is far more challenging than moving yourself. Even with the help of movers Melbourne, you have to take care of many things on your own. The planning and preparations decide the quality of the move your elders are going to get.
- Early planning is important: Planning for a move early gives you a handy amount of time margin for your move. Early planning is one of the best ways to get ready for a move. It will reduce the pressure as you would have figured out most of the things before urgency arises. The moving experience becomes more convenient and flawless if you have all the plans ready before time.
- Downsize as much as you can: We can’t stress enough on it. One of the best times to get rid of all the junk and useless stuff is when you’re planning a move. You must help your elderly parents in clearing things that they might not need in the future. Having lesser items will make the moving process a bit easier for everyone.
- Prepare the elders for the new place: For your parents, leaving their familiar home is going to be tough. You should prepare them for their life in the new home. A good way to do this is by making them familiar with the place. If the place is not too far, take the elders there to make them comfortable with the surroundings.
- Give importance to the benefits of moving: If your parents have lived at the same place for a long time, they must have built a connection. Leaving that place might overwhelm them with emotions, not the good ones. However, moving can bring positive changes around you. You must focus more on the benefits of your move.
- Prefer places that fit well: Searching for the place for the elders that suits them best is an essential task to be done: research different housing options and floor plans. Because of the age, you prefer moving to a place where you can easily reach the hospitals and other important places.
Some tips to make it easier
Use as many tips as you can to make the move convenient for the elders. Here, we have listed a few tips that will make the moving experience smoother.
- Use the blueprint of the new home: It is important that you make your parents familiar with the home. One of the ways to do this is through blueprints. Ensure that you obtain the blueprint of the new home and make your parents familiar with the housing plan. Having the blueprint will also help you in making better and more accurate floor plans.
- Donate excess belonging: As mentioned earlier in this blog, you must downsize before moving. One of the best ways to get rid of the belongings you don’t need is by donating them to someone who might need it. For items that are in decent shape, you should try contacting charities.
- Rent a storage unit: There might be a case when your parents don’t need something, but they also don’t want to lose it. You should rent a storage unit through your removalists Geelong for such items. Those belongings will not become a burden on the move and will be safe in the storage facility.
- Hire professional movers: If you have to move older family members, then hiring professional removalists should be on top of your priorities. They will help you manage the load efficiently and make the move more convenient. Other than loading and unloading services, many removalists also offer packing and unpacking services. They’ll make your overall experience better.
What to do after the move?
After living at a place for so long and then moving to a new one, it will take your parents some time to adjust. The surroundings will be new for them so they will definitely miss the old place. You can decorate the new place to give them a better feeling. Arranging get-together and parties can also help in adjusting them.
Once they’re moved, you should call and visit them often to encourage them to reach out to you anytime they want.